BACHELOR OF SCIENCE HEALTH INFORMATICS (BSC HI)
The BSc in Health Informatics is a four-year programme designed to address the rapidly changing landscape of health information technology and health data management, health information privacy and predictive disease prevention. The School will collaborate with industry professionals and expert faculty to deliver this programme.
The aim of the programme is to educate students on effective adoption and integration of information technology into the entire experience of health care delivery and health administration. The objectives of the programme are as follows;
- Train students who are capable of championing adoption and use of information and communication technology in health service delivery.
- Equip students with the skills to analyse business processes and operations and make appropriate recommendations on information system requirements for effective health care delivery.
- Equip students with the skills to design efficient information management systems in health care and administration.
- Provide students with the requisite exposure and knowledge to train other health professionals to leverage information technology to improve clinical practices.
Minimum Entry Requirements for Admission of Students
Applicants must meet any of the following minimum requirements:
- SSSCE Candidates: Credit Passes (A-D) in six (6) subjects comprising three coresubjects, including English Language and Mathematics, plus three (3) relevant elective subjects.
- WASSCE Candidates: Credit Passes (A1-C6) in six (6) subjects comprising threecore subjects, including English Language and Mathematics, plus three (3) relevant elective subjects.
- GBCE Candidates: Credit Passes (A-D) in six (6) subjects comprising three coresubjects including English Language and Mathematics plus three (3) relevant elective subjects
- GCE ‘A’ Level: Passes in three (3) subjects (at least, one of the passes should beGrade D or better). Also, the applicant must have had credit passes (Grade 6) in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject (for non-science students) and an Arts subject (for Science students).
- Diplomas/Certificates from local and foreign institutions recognised by the National Accreditation Board.
- Holders of Certificate in Information & Communication Technology (CICT) from the School of Technology, GIMPA.
Mature Students must be at least 25 years at the time of applying and must write a qualifying examination and score an average of 50% in it. They must also have relevant working experience plus credit passes in Mathematics and English.
- HND holders in IT- and Science – related disciplines may be admitted to Level 200. They must have obtained a minimum of Second Class Lower, and have two years working
experience after the HND.
- ABCE Candidates: Full Diploma Certificate in ABCE. Also, the applicant must havehad credit passes in five (5) subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science or Social Studies in the General Business Certificate Examination (GBCE) or Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) or West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE). ABCE candidates may be considered for admission at level 200 of a degree programme.
COURSES TO BE OFFERED;
LEVEL 100 – SEMESTER 1
|SOT105||FUNDAMENTALS OF COMPUTING|
|BUS101||COMMUNICATION SKILLS I|
|BUS102||ECONOMIC SCIENCE I|
|LEVEL 100 – SEMESTER 2|
|BUS106||READING SEMINAR IN HUMANITIES|
|BUS202||COMMUNICATION SKILLS II|
|SOT104||OBJECT-ORIENTED PROGRAMMING I|
|LEVEL 200 – SEMESTER 1|
|BHI 201||FUNDAMENTALS OF HEALTH INFORMATICS|
|BUS205||MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR|
|SOT205||OBJECT-ORIENTED PROGRAMMING II|
LEVEL 200 – SEMESTER 2
COURSES CODES COURSE TITLE
|BHI202||MEDICAL ENVIRONMENT & TECHNOLOGY|
|BHI204||HUMAN BIOLOGY & INFECTIOUS DISEASE|
|SOT 202||WEB TECHNOLOGY|
|SOT203||SYSTEMS ANALYSIS AND DESIGN|
LEVEL 300 – SEMESTER 1
|BHI 305||ETHICAL & LEGAL ISSUES IN HEALTH ADMINISTRATION|
|ICT305||ADVANCED DATABASE SYSTEMS|
|SOT305||DATA COMMUNICATION AND NETWORKING|
LEVEL 300 – SEMESTER 2
|COURSE CODES||COURSE TITLE|
|BHI 302||HEALTH AND SAFETY|
|BHI 304||HEALTH DATA ANALYTICS & VISUALIZATION|
|BHI303||HEALTH SERVICES MANAGEMENT|
LEVEL 400 – SEMESTER 1
|SOT402||HEALTH OPERATIONS RESEARCH|
|BHI 407||HEALTH QUALITY MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP|
|BHI 409||HEALTH INFORMATICS PROJECT I|
LEVEL 400 – SEMESTER 2
|COURSE CODES||COURSE TITLE|
|BHI 402||INFORMATION SECURITY & PRIVACY IN HEALTH CARE|
|BHI406||CLINICAL CLASSIFICATIONS AND CODING|
|BHI400||HEALTH INFORMATICS PROJECT II|
|SOT306||ADVANCED DATA COMMUNICATION & NETWORKING|
|ICT430||CLOUD COMPUTING AND INTERNET OF EVERYTHING|